BLOGLOVIN'

Follow

Thursday 29 December 2016

Vintage style dress in wonderful House of Hackney Print


I was super excited to sew this House of Hackney fabric- its a stretch fabric I bought at their clearance sale for £25 and it is truly stunning - very vibrant colour with a stunning drape- I pre washed it and it washed perfectly too.  I picked out this Butterick vintage style dress for it.

My biggest job was cutting out- I had a strange shaped piece, significantly smaller than the specified fabric amount so I had to be careful.  I also wanted to ensure i didn't put the large flowers in awkward places nor end up with them looking off balance.  With such bold flowers if you ended up with 2 close together etc it would look really odd.

It was quite an easy sew actually.  It has some lovely details- gathers on the shoulders and on the bodice- see pics below.



I really like the rushed bodice effect,  it gives a lovely fit when on and was super easy to sew.  See it inside out here:

My biggest job after cutting was fitting- given the high stretch in the fabric I had to take it in quite a bit down the sides, see my pinning below.


I actually didn't need a zip- which was good as i didn't fancy putting one in this fabric.  I just finished the neck with stretch bias and that worked perfectly.




Isn't the fabric stunning?
And here she is on.


I would highly recommend the pattern and I would definately make it again!  I d love to see it in a more plain fabric so you can see the detail on it next time!
Messy Essy makes
x

No comments:

Post a Comment