I was sold by this double sided fabric which is a stunning vibrant blue one side and dark grey the other. I m using a new pattern and consider this a tester version so if it doesn't work out, I m not too stressed.
Here is the finished dress:
-easy to sew
- dream to cut
- no heming required!!
- shape & fit. Wow this really looks amazing on. I haven't made many things that look as good as this in terms of fit. With the right patten it's clear it can give you an amazing shape and skim any lumps & bumps that some fabrics accentuate!
- colour. The colour of the scuba is just a dream, totally vibrant and jewel like
- I found it nigh on impossible to unpick. I sewed the zip in the wrong way (doh!!!) and just couldn't unpick without causing a hole in the fabric. Luckily there was enough stretch and ease that I just took 1cm off the back seam and started again
- uncomfortable to wear. I don't like the feeling of the fabric and I find the overlocked seams uncomfortable- they are bulky, stick out and are a bit scratchy on the inside
-impossible to iron. I found it tricky to get seams and darts to lie nicely as if I got iron too hot the fabric melted and stuck 😬
- it's got volume. Good for shape but I struggled with the facing and top of the zipper - it won't lie flat, sticking up etc- not helped by its aversion to the iron. I ended up sewing it down which helped. Maybe the facing should have been a different fabric or technique altogether? How do you finish a scuba neck line?
- I'm convinced it won't wear well, I m expecting it to bobble. But that's a hunch, no evidence so far - and well I ll probably not find out since I don't think it will be worn.
My verdict. It looks amazing, but I don't like it. To the extent I m not sure I will ever wear it. I made it several weeks ago and haven't been tempted. Normally I'm a wear it the next day girl! Think this may be my first and last scuba project. But glad I gave it a go.
What's your views on scuba? Any tips? Did I make some obvious errors?!
Keen to hear your thoughts
Messy Essy makes x
Ps. Love the pattern. And this served to let me perfect the fit- so my next one in Liberty twill is a big success and I've worn this one several times already ;)