BLOGLOVIN'

Follow

Sunday 1 November 2015

todays make- black & grey pleated broiderie anglaise skirt

Happy sew Sunday!

I m very excited to have finished this weeks make- a black & grey broiderie anglaise skirt.


I bought the broiderie anglaise black fabric of eBay ages ago and hadn't decided what to make with it, then I decided I d make  a skirt.  I spent ages deciding which colour to line it with - do I go black and subtle, do I go bright (turquoise/coral) which appeals to me a lot but then I wonder if its a bit tricky to match tops to, so in the end I went with a black/grey combo- enough contrast that you can appreciate the broiderie anglaise but nothing too crazy, meaning its infinitely wearable!  Result!


Its made from Butterick pattern B5929 bought from Jaycotts- pattern was perfect, no complaints, I made it up as a standard size 12 and it was perfect.  For once I didn't change the pattern at all.


So contrary to how I usually line things, I sewed the lining piece by piece to the top fabric as I wanted the top & lining fabric to be tightly together, I didn't want the top fabric to float about.  I used my binder foot to bind the edges so it was nice & neat, then sewed it all together treating the 2 layers like one piece of fabric, being careful to ensure all layers are flat.  That worked perfectly for the effect I was looking for- the only slight challenge is with all the pleats at the top you end up with a lot of fabric to sew through & need a lot of pins to keep it all in one place!


I added a few nice details (well I think they are nice!).  Firstly an exposed metal zip at the back and then where the pockets are, I just used the lining fabric so you get the grey contrast showing through. I'm really happy with those touches.





What do you think?  What did you sew today?





Oh, and I couldn't resist showing it off led on our Edwardian tiled floor that I adore!

My next task is getting my overlocker up & running and making a jersey top to go with this! I ve got some black/grey double sided ponte that i m going to use.  I ll let you know how I get on with my overlocker!

messy essy
x

-fabric from thelittleworldoffabric on ebay
-pattern Butterick B5929 bought from Jaycotts


1 comment:

  1. I love this! Never thought of a broderie anglaise skirt before...think I may have to steal the idea!

    ReplyDelete