I m very excited to have finished this weeks make- a black & grey broiderie anglaise skirt.
Its made from Butterick pattern B5929 bought from Jaycotts- pattern was perfect, no complaints, I made it up as a standard size 12 and it was perfect. For once I didn't change the pattern at all.
So contrary to how I usually line things, I sewed the lining piece by piece to the top fabric as I wanted the top & lining fabric to be tightly together, I didn't want the top fabric to float about. I used my binder foot to bind the edges so it was nice & neat, then sewed it all together treating the 2 layers like one piece of fabric, being careful to ensure all layers are flat. That worked perfectly for the effect I was looking for- the only slight challenge is with all the pleats at the top you end up with a lot of fabric to sew through & need a lot of pins to keep it all in one place!
I added a few nice details (well I think they are nice!). Firstly an exposed metal zip at the back and then where the pockets are, I just used the lining fabric so you get the grey contrast showing through. I'm really happy with those touches.
Oh, and I couldn't resist showing it off led on our Edwardian tiled floor that I adore!
My next task is getting my overlocker up & running and making a jersey top to go with this! I ve got some black/grey double sided ponte that i m going to use. I ll let you know how I get on with my overlocker!
-fabric from thelittleworldoffabric on ebay
-pattern Butterick B5929 bought from Jaycotts